Sunday, August 17, 2008

Teva U.S. Team in Norway!

Well Rickey and I finally met up in Norway for the race this past weekend. The hotel was amazing the spa, the food, the scenery, wow! The race, I only I have one word to say about it, brutal. Rocky, muddy, and a relentless climb that never seemed to end. The race had some big time climbers in it including Rickey, Jon Wyatt, Jon Tvedt and another Norwegian climber Ouestein Sylta I think is how you spell it. From the gun Wyatt took it out, as the course was a bit cleaner and not so rocky at the bottom. A pack of Rickey, Tvedt, two other Norwegians, and I ran together for a bit then Tvedt made a move and I followed him. It was a good idea but once we got to the rocks I experienced first hand how great the guy is on rugged courses. He and I were a few minutes behind Wyatt at the begginning of the rocks I would say and Tvedt actually caught and passed Wyatt before making it out of the rocky area. Of course, Wyatt with the better speed passed him once the course got a bit smoother near the peak to miss the record by just a few seconds and also missing the chance at a huge bonus check. I ended up fourth right behind Sylta as I fell quite a bit behind him and Tvedt during the rocks, thanks to my poor choice for racing shoes that day. Rickey had a strong finish to pass a few guys and finish up just behind me for fourth. The great part about the race was we got the pleasure to walk all the way down a 20 plus percent grade for a few hours, great huh. After that walk I really started to appreciate the fact that at Mt. Washington we at least get a lift down. But, it was nice, took a few nice pics. Well we are off to Italy now, and hopefully meeting up with Simon. Hopefully the USA team can win the challenge next weekend! Until next time.........

No comments: